Updated: Jan 13
Campfire Tales is a live event as part of the 2023 Featherston Booktown Karukatea Festival. We are looking for four horror / dark fiction stories to be performed/read in front of a live audience during the festival.
This call is open to New Zealand / Aotearoa authors only.
Stories need to be approximately 2000 words (no longer - shorter will be considered, but 2K is the perfect length for the performance).
We are looking for a wide variety of stories to curate a fun and spooky event - stories with strong hooks, characters, twists and dialogue work well in this context. Gore is fine, but the extreme end of the horror spectrum will not be suitable.
The accepted stories will also be printed in a zine with commissioned artwork given to ticketholders on the night of the event.
Campfire Tales will also consider including the stories in a possible anthology at later date, in which case another contract and fee will be offered.
Deadline: March 15th, 2023
Word count: 2,000 max
Simultaneous Submissions: No
Multiple Submissions: No
How to submit:
- Send all stories to firstname.lastname@example.org with [TITLE] – [ LAST NAME] – [STORY] in the subject line.
- Please do not copy/paste the story in the body of the email. We prefer Word doc attachments if possible.
- Please include an author bio.
- All enquiries can also be directed to the same address.
- If accepted, an author photo will be requested.
- A PDF copy of the previous year's zine can be provided on request.
Featherston Booktown Karukatea Festival 2023 takes place 12-14 May 2023 in Featherston, Wairarapa. More info on the festival can be found here:
Campfire Tales is produced by Denver Grenell and Ricky Dey for Featherston Booktown.